Currently at home in Calgary.

Thursday 9 June 2011

Translating Bread

When I arrived I noticed a skookum new Cuisinart bread machine in the kitchen. I think it had never been used because the thick, complicated, all-in-English user manual was too daunting to figure out.

One of my very best friends since I arrived in Honduras is Google Translate. In case any of my CIDA or CESO associated friends haven't discovered it yet, it can quickly get you out of a jam when communication hits a brick wall. And in 58 different languages. Compared to online translators of the past, it's remarkably accurate as long as you're not writing a book with it. It can even speak the phrase to you out loud or you can speak to it, so no typing. Better yet, there's an iPhone app version.

So now, with some recipes translated, the hotel is making fresh bread every day. White yesterday, whole wheat and cinnamon swirl today.

This is a shot of a couple of the ladies proudly displaying their first creation.