Currently at home in Calgary.

Monday 6 June 2011

I Have a Secret

Shhh ..... come close ..... I have a secret about my real job teaching at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT). Here it is: I learn more than my students do.

The same is true here at Aparthotel Guijarros.

The 8 staff here have plenty of interaction with the guests occupying the 10 rooms. They certainly solve challenges creatively as they arise. But, do they really know what guests are thinking? As consumers, do you always voice your opinions? Are you more likely to voice them if your feedback is anonymous? And easy to do? If you can do it on your phone while you are waiting for your flight at the Tegucigalpa airport? I think so.

I spent this morning creating an e-mail to be sent to departing guests. The usual "thank you for your visit" stuff, plus two embedded links. One that leads to an online SurveyMonkey guest feedback form and one that leads to the Aparthotel Guijarros page on TripAdvisor.com. Given a few months of feedback from both avenues, Guijarros should have a precise indication of their areas of opportunity as far as improvements go. (and, equally, what they should not change)

What does this have to do with my secret? A Canadian who's Spanish is limited to ordering beer and a young Honduran who speaks slightly more English than that can spend half an hour together and figure out this whole e-mail / SurveyMonkey / TripAdvisor thing using a made-up 3rd language. With many laughs along the way.

Gabriela learned how to send out internet guest comment cards. I learned a whole new form of communication, increased my Spanish vocabulary, and learned even more about the ways and culture of how Hondurans think and work.

Have I told you I love it here?