Currently at home in Calgary.

Wednesday 18 April 2018

Blood, Sweat, and Blood


While I’m on assignment, I try to keep as normal a routine as possible that includes runs and workouts. Running in particular is always a great way to see the surrounding area and how the locals live. On my second day at Bishoftu, I did just that. 

About 5k into a 10k loop, running along a busy, colourful, sensory-intense streetscape, I stubbed a toe and bailed. It happens, but I cannot remember the last time it did. This street wasn’t exactly the Highline trail in Canmore, if you know what I mean.
Ethiopia has a long, long pedigree of famous distance and middle distance runners – Bekele,      Gebrselassie, Dibaba, Defar, and many more. As a sport, running is second only to soccer here.
That said, I haven’t seen anyone out for a run in these parts. So, as if a 6’2” blue-eyed, very white guy running along a street in deepest Ethiopia isn’t cause for some rubbernecking by the locals (and the smiley little kids, who all practice their English with me as I pass them), try doing it with a bleeding elbow and two knees.

Ah well ….. it’s funny now.